San Cristobal is the capital of the Galapagos Islands. Along with Santa Cruz Island, it is one of the most visited islands since a lot of commercial flights from the mainland land at the San Cristobal Galapagos Airport.
The island was named in the honor of St. Christopher, because he is the patron saint of sailors. The capital of the island, and of the archipelago is Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, located on the southwest coast of San Cristobal.
It is not the largest (which is Isabela) nor the most populated (which is Santa Cruz) but it is the favorite island of the sea lions. There are so many that you will find them on the pier, in the playgrounds, in the restaurants, and even sunbathing in a hammock. San Cristobal is the best island for surfing in Galapagos as well, because of its wonderful beaches where you can catch a nice wave accompanied by turtles, sea lions, or rays.µ
You will find many attractive options for Lodging in San Cristobal in all categories. From your hotel, you can arrange wonderful day trips and sightseeing to amazing sites like Kicker Rock, Loberia Beach, Tortoise Rescue Center, Isla Lobos, and more!
Where is San Cristobal Island situated?
San Cristobal lies on the most eastern side of the Galapagos Islands, to the right of Santa Cruz Island
How to reach San Cristobal Island in Galapagos?
There exist Two Main Airlines That Fly From Guayaquil Or Quito To Galapagos
. Some flights go to Baltra Island (Santa Cruz) and others to San Cristobal. Often, flights to San Cristobal are cheaper. The airlines operating in Galapagos are LATAM and Avianca. If you arrive at San Cristobal airport, you will have to take a transfer to Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, where the island's commerce is concentrated.
In the populated islands of the Galapagos, there is a daily boat service that makes trips between the islands for around $30. Please note that these boats only leave twice a day.
What is the weather in San Cristobal Galapagos like?
The Galapagos have a mild climate, characterized by moderate temperatures throughout the year. The average temperature is between 24ºC and 25ºC.
What to pack to go to San Cristobal?
Packing for Galapagos is not the same as packing for any other beach destination. During your trip in Galapagos National Park
you will have to walk over volcanic terrain, rocks, dirt and unstable roads in order to reach the stunning beaches so it is best to prepare yourself beforehand.
In addition, Galapagos is a protected National Park so there are certain rules and restrictions that also affect what you can and cannot bring in your luggage.
If you want to be prepared and get the most out of your trip these are some recommendations of what to bring:
- Valid passport
- Sunscreen: You can also wear a hat or anything that will help you protect from the powerful Ecuadorian sun.
- Comfortable shoes: in Galapagos you will need some resistant shoes to be able to walk on volcanic terrain, rocks and dirt. Some water shoes can also be very useful.
- Some cash: there are not many ATMs in the islands and not all establishments accept cards.
- Repellent, especially for the rainy season in Galapagos from January to April, when there are many mosquitoes.
- A reusable water bottle: a stainless steel bottle is a must to stay hydrated and avoid buying plastic bottles all the time (and help the environment). In most hotels and hostels you can refill it before leaving for free.
- Your own snorkeling equipment if possible.
- A sports camera: This is the best way to make memories of your trip to Galapagos.
Since San Cristobal islands is home to one of the airports that connect the mainland of Ecuador with the Galapagos Islands, many cruise departures start from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, you can check the different Yacht Options
or Cruise Tour Programs
. Many travelers stay on San Cristobal for post cruise program, you can also look at Day Tour Options
that depart from the island. Below are the main hotel options for your stay.