This is one of the few destinations around the world where U.S. citizens can travel at the present time without having to quarantine.
It is important that you read on if you do not want to have to quarantine or lose a day or two waiting for a PCR test.
GETTING INTO ECUADOR (last update Feb. 22nd 2021)
All travelers that arrive into Ecuador need to present proof of a negative COVID PCR (this is the nasal Isotope test) test taken no more than ten (10) days before entering the country.
This is all you need to enter Ecuador, no quarantine, and you can travel freely around the country visiting the Amazon, the Andes and the Pacific coast beaches.
You will also need: A departure ticket, your Passport, to sign a health form (provided during your flight).
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PCR TEST UPON ARRIVAL?
You can take a test at the airport. The local government will require you quarantine yourself at a hotel, hostel, motel or any accommodation establishment that is authorized until your negative test arrives – there are labs that can deliver the test within less than 24 hours. With the negative test in hand you must contact the local authorities so you are allowed to resume your travel plans.
For your convenience, you can take a PCR COVID-19 Test at MedicalVIP at the airport in Quito. The cost is $80 and the results will be ready in 48 to 72 hours.
Here is a shortlist of other local laboratories we can recommend:
- Ecuamerican – Phone: 0995613302 (offers testing in 24 hours and can take the test at your hotel)
- SISTEMAS MEDICOS DE LA USFQ – Phone: 0984534943
- HOSPITAL DE LOS VALLES – Phone: 0991941758
- HOSPITAL LUIS VERNAZA – Phone: (04)2560300
- PLENISALUD S.A. – Phone: 0987067952
- LABORATORIO ALCIVAR / HIPERBARICA – Phone: (04)3711980
For a full list of official labs, please check:
IMPORTANT ADVICE: Get the Covid PCR test before traveling
If you test positive you will have to keep your quarantine for 14 days and necessary health care will be provided (at your expense), it is important to travel with health insurance (COVID treatment in Ecuador can raise a bill up to $70000 USD)
We will try to keep this updated, but it is important you monitor oficial information at:
IMPORTANT ADVICE: Children under 12 do not need a PCR test to enter Ecuador or travel to Galapagos
“POST” COVID 19 TRAVELING AROUND ECUADOR (super brief details) :
Ecuador has ended it’s state of health emergency starting on September 13th, the state of exception ends in Ecuador, with two specific restrictions to be restored: freedom of movement and freedom of association.
- National Curfew is lifted after the end of the state of emergency.
- Freedom to move around Ecuador at any time is back in place.
- Business meetings, press conferences and academic reunions of up to 25 people are allowed.
Measures that are maintained:
- Mandatory use of a mask in public spaces and physical distancing.
- Public and municipal passenger transportation remains with 50% capacity.
- Conventional and executive taxis, mixed transport, tourism transport and light cargo can circulate every day without restrictions of their license plate number. (If renting a car, please ask your rental agent restrictions on private transport for each city).
- Food establishments can serve the public with 50% capacity.
- Activities in archaeological sites, zoos, museums, national parks (except Yasuní National Park), allow entrance of 30% of visitor capacity, for this, each institution must implement a protocol for this purpose – best to book a trip in advance for each and ask our travel agent or tour operator.
GETTING INTO THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS (last update Feb. 22nd 2021)
YES. You can visit the Galapagos Islands without going into quarantine.
Regardless of where you are from the it is posible to enter without a quarantine if you comply with the following COVID19 travel restrictions:
– Identity document (identity card or passport)
– Roundtrip air ticket
– Negative result of an RT-PCR test (Nasal Isotope) carried out up to 96 hours before admission. This means the test results should be issued within 96 hours of boarding your flight to the islands. IMPORTANT: If you have plan to use the test taken in your country you must make sure results are sent by email to the Galapagos government council by email to one of the following addresses depending if you will be traveling to Galapagos from Quito – [email protected]
– Safe conduct (salvoconducto) issued by a Galapagos tour operator, Galapagos Cruise Company or and Official Accommodation establishment (no Air BNB).
IMPORTANT ADVICE: Plan your trip and excursions in advance, the local Company issuing the safe conduct needs to do it at least 24 hours in advance
– Traffic control card issued by the Governing Council of the Special Galapagos Regime (You can get it online at least 24 hours before your flight). Here is the official form to be filled:
– Traveler’s Health Declaration Form to identify the places that will be in your stay. (This is given to you during your flight).
– For foreign nationals, compulsory health insurance is mandatory.
Here is a short video of a traveler entering the Galapagos Islands following all the COVID Protocols:
Disclosure: We try to keep this page up to date, but you should always doublé check official information at the Special Regimen of the Galapagos Government Council, Ministry of Tourism, and the Ministry of Public Health:
INFORMATION ABOUT CURFEW TIMES AND MOBILITY RESTRITIONS IN ECUADOR AND GALAPAGOS
As of writing this blog post there are no central government restrictions on mobility. Every municipalty can impose their own restrictions.
For example: In Galapagos all restaurants and storefronts are closing at 6 pm.
You can review up to date details at:
https://www.gestionderiesgos.gob.ec/resoluciones-coe/ for specific resolutions for the most up to date information regarding curfew times and other restrictions.
WE CAN HELP PLAN YOUR TRIP TO ECUADOR AND GALAPAGOS
If you feel overwhelmed by all this information and want to enjoy a carefree vacation in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands we can help you. Our travel consultants are on call and up to date on all protocols and restrictions. Use our Ecuador and Galapagos travel planner or Contact us for advice.